Help - English > Aggressive hidden trait

Aggressive hidden trait

Set priority
Show messages by

This Post:
240868.8 in reply to 240868.5
Date: 4/22/2013 4:53:20 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Oh. Oh, my. And shikago, it seems like that's the only way I've seen it. Has anyone seen aggression in a positive way?

Last edited by Big Dogs at 4/22/2013 4:54:05 PM

This Post:
240868.10 in reply to 240868.7
Date: 4/22/2013 8:35:15 PM
Milwaukee Lethargy
III.8
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Miłwaukee Lethargy
good post, dog. +1
Do you think aggressiveness does anything else besides impact the likelihood of committing a foul? (just want to get your full thoughts on aggressiveness if you don't mind sharing).

I remember a BB saying that lucky fans think they're better than they actually are. Would what he said be achieved solely through aggressiveness?

But the lucky fan code I think has already been said to set all attributes to the minimum value

This is nitpicking, but lucky fans have slightly above minimum skills. For example, there's real players without a single made FT or assist. Fans can do both! I even saw a lucky fan get the game winning assist in a cup game last season. (down by 1 point with 3 seconds left!)

This Post:
240868.11 in reply to 240868.10
Date: 4/22/2013 9:58:42 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think aggressiveness reflects (to some degree) the likelihood of both committing and drawing fouls. This may not be true, but I've seen some correlation between players on my team who draw and commit many shooting fouls. (But off-the-ball fouls are a different story.) My guess is that there are a lot of factors playing into PF frequency, since there are lots of different kinds of fouls that reflect different things (including PD in a game, which would really screw up a mathematical analysis). But I'm completely working on the level of anecdote and hypothesis here. Maybe somebody who is adept at using the BBAPI could do some quick data parsing to find correlations?

Last edited by rhyminsimon at 4/22/2013 9:59:51 PM

Join the official USA offsite forum for helper tools, camaraderie and advice! (http://s3.zetaboards.com/BuzzerBeater_USA_NT/index/) – Builder of the Training Simulator: (229484.1) – Former host of the Golden Clam Invitational (http://www.buzzerbeater.com/community/fedoverview.aspx?fe...)
This Post:
240868.13 in reply to 240868.9
Date: 4/23/2013 7:31:20 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Are there other hidden skills? I've noticed my player who grabs too much rebounds for his skill. My league is bot heavy, but this happens quite regulary. Also some players tend to take a lot of shots, although their skills aren't much better, compared to other players.

Maybe some players have one hidden "special ability"? As in aggressive defender, scorer, rebounder. Someone mentioned a weird low-skilled shotblocker on his team too.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least to find out other hidden skills exist. Something like either streakiness/consistency or maybe things like players who are good in the first or fourth quarter, or who are better or worse when the game is close.

This Post:
240868.14 in reply to 240868.10
Date: 4/23/2013 7:39:25 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
good post, dog. +1
Do you think aggressiveness does anything else besides impact the likelihood of committing a foul? (just want to get your full thoughts on aggressiveness if you don't mind sharing).

I remember a BB saying that lucky fans think they're better than they actually are. Would what he said be achieved solely through aggressiveness?

But the lucky fan code I think has already been said to set all attributes to the minimum value

This is nitpicking, but lucky fans have slightly above minimum skills. For example, there's real players without a single made FT or assist. Fans can do both! I even saw a lucky fan get the game winning assist in a cup game last season. (down by 1 point with 3 seconds left!)

I have a few players who are higher than average aggressiveness. While the fouling can get annoying and the injury magnet aspect of it really sucks, my experience has been that they probably get a few more steals and defend a little better because of the aggression. I certainly don't look at it as a purely negative thing, but that's one of those things that's hard to quantify because you see every foul your player commits reflected in the boxscore, but you don't know who drew fouls on the offensive side if no FTs are given, and you don't know if a steal/block may have been caused because he was aggressive.

Nice catch about the assist/FT thing. At some point I may have to look back and see what was actually said because I seem to recall a BB saying that they set them to minimum values but it may have been something where they're set to 1 when in reality regular players can go as low as zero (hypothetically).

Last edited by GM-hrudey at 4/23/2013 7:46:02 AM

This Post:
240868.18 in reply to 240868.14
Date: 4/23/2013 4:03:09 PM
Milwaukee Lethargy
III.8
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Miłwaukee Lethargy
I have a few players who are higher than average aggressiveness. While the fouling can get annoying and the injury magnet aspect of it really sucks, my experience has been that they probably get a few more steals and defend a little better because of the aggression. I certainly don't look at it as a purely negative thing, but that's one of those things that's hard to quantify because you see every foul your player commits reflected in the boxscore, but you don't know who drew fouls on the offensive side if no FTs are given, and you don't know if a steal/block may have been caused because he was aggressive.

thanks, that goes along with what i've always suspected.

Nice catch about the assist/FT thing. At some point I may have to look back and see what was actually said because I seem to recall a BB saying that they set them to minimum values but it may have been something where they're set to 1 when in reality regular players can go as low as zero (hypothetically).

A few seasons ago, a BB stated that lucky fans are by far the worst players you can use. But that's clearly false. I've gotten absolutely dominated by lucky fans in a game, back when my worst players still had skills. It was truly stunning. More recently, a lucky fan even doubled my points per 100 shots! Sure lucky fans aren't great, but they aren't by far the worst players either.

I always figured fans had skills of at least atrocious (medium) or atrocious (high). While new players can start at atrocious (low), & old players can even drop below that. (non-bold atrocious, with a mouseover of 0).

Advertisement