BB USA > NFL Talk

NFL Talk

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
220571.84 in reply to 220571.79
Date: 8/26/2012 6:33:31 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Obviously I am not going to mention every single addition to the broncos. OK, they also added Dressen, takes away nor adds anything to my point.

Wimbley is gone, have you seen Burris?

I didnt mention Berry specifically, and the post was long enough without going into detail on each and every injury. You cannot find an analyst who will say the Chiefs werent devastated by injury on both sides of the ball last year. That was my point. I mentioned Cassel, Charles and added "and several other players". Did my not mentioning Berry's name actually change the message, or was it just a ticky tack counter statement?

You are really putting faith in preseason games as if they represent how the reg season will go? Rams went 4-0 last preseason, Miami, Philly and Washington went 3-1, 49ers came in last in their division in preseason record last season. It is preseason and todays exhibition means nothing, not one thing.

I said Oaklands defense is much improved and particulalrly their secondary. They came one win from the playoffs with arguably the worst CBs in the game, now they are better. Who told you Detroit had a good defense? They were among the very worst in passing yard given up last season. Giants had an extremely pourous pass defense as well. Brooking? the guy is what, 36? He will be 37 in Oct. If your defensive improvement is pinned on him, I feel good about my assesment

While Denver did face the 6th most plays from scrimmage on the defense, they werent steller on total yards per play against either, coming in 16th in that category, pretty mediocre in my book. Denver is by no means the worst defense around, but I also dont think thery are anything special, and we wont know until the games are played. I could very easily be completely wrong about them this year, but I stand by my assessment of them last year. Heck, they were mediocre in the stats and they played anemic offenses in Oak and KC twice. Just not as impressive as the 'Denver won on defense" pundits claim. Ho hum at best

This Post:
220571.85 in reply to 220571.82
Date: 8/26/2012 6:40:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

Seattle made me think, SF isn't the clear favorite in that division anymore. I know ESPN and everyone thinks SF just has a playoff spot on a silver platter basically....

but with them having already a ...alright-good defense...

then adding in offseason, Kellen Winslow Jr. (600-800 yards receiving), Braylon Edwards (800-1000), Terrell Owens (prob around 600), thats a ton of offense. Also, Owens, Edwards, Winslow are all good blockers (excellent in winslow's case), for the run game as well. Marshawn Lynch had a great year last year, with this added bonus, maybe even better.

These guys join an offense that already had good production out of Golden tate, Sidney Rice, and Zach Miller.
2 TE sets... Miller and Winslow, receivers out there... Lynch running....

Wilson or Flynn, whomever. I think just about any quarterback (Alex Smith included) could take that team to the playoffs. I definitely think they win a wildcard... possibly the division.

Funny thing is that last season people werent riding the 49er wagon until they started rolling. Few picked them as division winners to start the season. Chemistry goes a long way, I suppose.

Owens got cut today. I was very disappointed that the Seahawks didnt take advantage of Miller last year, he is much better receiver than his 2011 stats show. If Skittles stays healthy and their QB is better than last year (would really have to be by default) I too consider them contenders for the division. Good call.

This Post:
220571.86 in reply to 220571.83
Date: 8/26/2012 6:53:40 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
well at Least the Texans already got the division won on a silver platter :)

Yeah. all they have to do is outplay the Titans (Oilers). Should be a gimme

This Post:
220571.87 in reply to 220571.85
Date: 8/26/2012 6:54:20 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Owens cut.... eh... sad, do lose some of my projected production...
but winslow and edwards, younger, bigger adds anyways

to your other post. Yeah. I'm a browns fan, Phil Taylor's injury there goes our alredy suspect run defense, offense is still hidieous

I have not seen much of Burris... but, still hurts losing Wimbley, like... the Texans (for Toiugh's sake), still a solid solid defense... but losing Williams, definitely hurts.

In terms of brookings age, typically older linebackers and O-lineman are better. No disrespect to Clay Matthews, Patrick Willis etc. But Urlacher, Ray Lewis, Terrell Suggs, James Harrison etc.play just as bit as good and are older.

Alex Smith was the 49ers bandwagon problem. I think the rams are improved.... but still no weapons really offensively outside S-Jax, whom is losing effectiveness.

I dunno, I just get the vibe that this year, is the year we don't have the 5in 5 out effect.

This Post:
220571.88 in reply to 220571.87
Date: 8/26/2012 7:50:47 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I have a hard time agreeing with you concerning LBs. Guys like Urlacher and Lewis, while still excellent players, are not what they used to be. They also tend to get injured much more. Urlacher didnt miss a snap for years, now he cant stay on the field. Who would you rather have, Urlacher at 27, or now? Lewis at 27, or now? Nothing but respect for Brooking, but Atlanta didnt let him go because of cap space.

Trust me, I have been a 'Dump Alex Smith and move on" guy for years, but much to my consternation, he was nothing short of awesome last year. Having said that I do not have Smith on one single fantasy team, not even as a backup (where he belongs on a fantasy roster) and I have 40 different fantasy teams.

Wimbley was good, but I (being an obvious Raiders fan even though I live 20 miles from San Diego) have absolutely no fear of the Raiders' front 7 not doing their jobs well. Counter to my preseason means nothing argument that I cart out when it suits me, the Raiders' young LB corps looks friggin awesome. Marcellus Wiley of ESPN concurs, and if an ex Cowboy great says it, it HAS to be true (giggles).

Last edited by buzzerbeatme at 8/26/2012 7:58:27 PM

This Post:
220571.89 in reply to 220571.88
Date: 8/26/2012 7:56:23 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Lb for Lb. I wish Cleveland had Oakland's D-line. Period.

I don't envy your WR situation, but hey, I'm in no room to talk either...

I think the Raiders, if they can get something at WR should be a favorite. Between them, the best punter in NFL, Janikowski (I feel the best kicker in nfl), and their front 7. they are tough.

Although, I also, am not one to just toss out Manning because he missed last season due to injury. And, as the Lions, Packers, etc. pretty much almost every Superbowl winning team recently has proven... you don't need a good defense to win an SB. Just be able to outscore your opponents.

I think the Ravens were the last, with a young Ray Lewis (who got away with murder that same year)

:edit: not that lions won superbowl, just that last year they were a good team.

Last edited by LBJisaCancer at 8/26/2012 7:58:36 PM

This Post:
220571.90 in reply to 220571.88
Date: 8/26/2012 7:59:41 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I have a hard time agreeing with you concerning LBs. Guys like Urlacher and Lewis, while still excellent players, are not what they used to be. They also tend to get injured much more. Urlacher didnt miss a snap for years, now he cant stay on the field. Who would you rather have, Urlacher at 27, or now? Lewis at 27, or now? Nothing but respect for Brooking, but Atlanta didnt let him go because of cap space.

Trust me, I have been a 'Dump Alex Smith and move on" guy for years, but much to my consternation, he was nothing short of awesome last year. Having said that I do not have Smith on one single fantasy team, not even as a backup (where he belongs on a fantasy roster) and I have 40 different fantasy teams.

Wimbley was good, but I (being an obvious Raiders fan even though I live 20 miles from San Diego) have absolutely no fear of the Raiders' front 7 not doing their jobs well. Counter to my preseason means nothing argument that I cart out when it suits me, the Raiders' young LB corps looks friggin awesome. Marcellus Wiley of ESPN concurs, and if an ex Cowboy great says it, it HAS to be true (giggles).

Younger LBs don't read the offense and predict the plays as well, thats all.

This Post:
220571.91 in reply to 220571.89
Date: 8/26/2012 8:03:17 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
One thing to point out about teams with prolific offenses, the defense numbers tend to be a bit scewed. Take the Packers, Saints, Lion, and Patriots for example. These teams put up points in such huge numbers that opposing teams tend to play less conservative. They take more chances, air it out more, and as a result get scored on more. Its the only shot you got when playing say....the Pats. You cant ground and pound with them, you will be down 28-6 at the half if you do. I telling stat when the defense of one of these teams is falsely or overly maligned is the high number of turnover these defenses produce, again because the opponent is less cautious. The Packers and Pats are an excellent example of this.

This Post:
220571.92 in reply to 220571.9
Date: 1/4/2013 6:23:30 PM
Mountain Eagles
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Ric Flair Drippers
wow I was almost spot on with Chiefs record

and I was wayyyyyyyyyy off with my Vikings prediction lol

3 Time NBBA Champion. Certified Trainer. Mentor. Have any questions? Feel free to shoot me a BB-Mail!

This Post:
220571.93 in reply to 220571.92
Date: 1/4/2013 7:22:55 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Things i notice after going through and reading almost this entire thread:

EVERYONE overestimated the Eagles (including me).

EVERYONE underestimated the Vikings, Redskins and Colts (including me).

Many people thought the broncos and Peyton Manning would not do as well as they have.

Nobody even talked about the Seahawks

Last edited by E.B.W. at 1/4/2013 7:23:39 PM

Murray/Harris/MPJ/Grant/Jokic - 2020 NBA Champs
This Post:
220571.94 in reply to 220571.32
Date: 1/5/2013 1:40:12 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
The Broncos are a joke, there's no way after a blue million neck surgeries that Manning will make it through the season with 340 lb. monsters chasing him around all day. If he miraculously somehow plays the season injury free there's still the full season of not playing to deal with, they might make the playoffs in a really weak division but it won't solely because of Manning. Oh yeah, the 49ers are gonna win the Superbowl.

This guy sure knows his football.....

Advertisement