BB Global (English) > Plans for isolation + Box and 1

Plans for isolation + Box and 1

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
169813.87 in reply to 169813.86
Date: 1/24/2011 6:14:51 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yes, they do play it in high school gyms, but I've never seen it used in professional basketball. I put the challenge out there for someone to find me an example.

This Post:
169813.88 in reply to 169813.85
Date: 1/24/2011 6:16:46 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
yeah i wouldn't choose it, but it is still a tactic and i am quite sure most basketball players would know the box and 1 even when they would struggle a bit in spacing while they most likely didn't practice it that often or not.

But it is still a game, which means we had more imbalanced rosters here then in real pro levels, which give the zone maybe a reason to exist. And the BB maybe searched for a strategy which they could present as a counterpart to the isolation offense, and ended up choosing the box and one, instead of introducing double team variantes of the old zones(or stay with the classical man to man).

Awesome response and what you say makes complete sense.

This Post:
169813.90 in reply to 169813.89
Date: 1/24/2011 8:55:49 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah, you're absolutely right. Thanks for putting it into perspective; it really makes sense that way.

This Post:
169813.91 in reply to 169813.61
Date: 1/25/2011 6:51:30 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Inside Isolation and Inside Box and One wasn't introduced in friendlies .... That's the biggest problem. At least these 2 tactics couldn't be able to use in competitive matches this season.
Why is this such a big problem? Why not think of this "sudden" introduction of new tactics on competitive level as the situation with the managers in Season 1? They didn't have a clue of what RNG (and all other) does. Was that a problem?

This Post:
169813.92 in reply to 169813.91
Date: 1/25/2011 7:09:38 AM
BC Hostivař
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Jirkov
At the season 1 all teams just started. At season 15 most teams have built their team for long time according to known conditions inclunding game engine behaviour in different situation. So now suddenly their long-time job can change the value depenping on how strong new tactics are and how their teams biult in different condition fit this new tactics or not.

Last edited by rwystyrk at 1/25/2011 7:10:11 AM

This Post:
169813.93 in reply to 169813.92
Date: 1/25/2011 8:15:18 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
The changes are hardly that drastic. It's not in the interest of anyone to introduce tactics that will dominate and render existing tactics useless. The only argument I agree with, and that one I agree very strongly with, is that the new tactics should have been thoroughly tested to make sure they work as intended and are balanced. There was no testing (or no public testing anyway) of the inside-focused tactics and the testing of the outside-focused tactics was not as wide and thorough as was first announced (although, I seem to remember the wording was something like "we expect to test..."). The PL testing never happened. So, I'm not exactly happy with this, but as long as there are no bugs, it's not a big issue.

This Post:
169813.94 in reply to 169813.93
Date: 1/25/2011 8:32:45 AM
BC Hostivař
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Jirkov
So, I'm not exactly happy with this, but as long as there are no bugs, it's not a big issue.

Are you sure, there are no bugs? The game engine is full of bugs (BB's don't care about) even without new tactics so I would be really suprised if new tactics don't bring another bugs.

Last edited by rwystyrk at 1/25/2011 8:33:09 AM

This Post:
169813.96 in reply to 169813.95
Date: 1/25/2011 8:54:36 AM
BC Hostivař
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Jirkov
EVERYONE has the same access to these new tactics.

Yes, everyone has the same access, but not access as was announced by BB-Charles on 07/10/2010 in news.

As announced a few seasons ago, we are finally ready to introduce two new tactics; Box-and-one & Isolation! These tactics will be available for testing in scrimmages starting this season, beginning with next Thursday’s games. Box-and-one is a defensive tactic, where four players play in the zone defense protecting the basket and the fifth player plays a man-to-man defense guarding the best offensive player on the other team. This is designed to prevent that player from getting the ball as often, as the man to man defender can overplay defensively knowing that he has a zone backup. Isolation is an offensive tactic. In an Isolation offense, the team will try to find their best offensive player and clear out an area for him to create his own shot. We are going to eventually offer both tactics with both outside and inside variants. For offense this means Isolation will attempt to clear out for the best exterior/interior player depending on which variant you choose. On defense, this means the defense will place a single man defender on the best exterior/interior player. We expect to be testing these new options over the course of the season in scrimmages and then private league games, and that they might need considerable adjustments as we observe how they are being used. We will begin by making the exterior versions of both tactics available beginning with next week’s scrimmages.

The main problem is that inside version was introduced right into competitive matches and outside version was only for scrimmages even charles wrote also about PL.
In general I have nothing against involving new tactics, but step by step and for competitive matches should be involved after at least a season of massive testing to be sure it's not too strong or too weak. Some important matches now could be just a lottery if one side bet by a fortune for winning card.

This Post:
169813.97 in reply to 169813.94
Date: 1/25/2011 9:08:08 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
So, I'm not exactly happy with this, but as long as there are no bugs, it's not a big issue.

Are you sure, there are no bugs?

No, I am afraid the testing was not sufficient. But assuming there is no bug and the tactics are not unbalanced, I see no real issue.

Advertisement