Is it even relevant? (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
241167.87 in reply to 241167.86
Date: 5/2/2013 1:37:56 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for the clarification!

I wish there were pigmen. You get a few of these pigmen walking around I'm looking a whole lot better. Then if somebody wants to fix me up at least they could say, Hey he's no pig-man!

To: red
This Post:
241167.89 in reply to 241167.88
Date: 5/2/2013 5:02:55 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I see what you are saying but the fact that no one can remember when they chose their sexual preference apparently cannot be counted as logical evidence that there is no choice involved? I'd say its compelling evidence and I'd say the opposing argument has nearly zero evidence.

Also you're saying that theoretically its possible to choose our sexual preference when we are too young to remember it. As a psychologist who works exclusively with children, I find the idea that toddlers or developing children could possibly choose what gender they will feel attracted to when they are older the least logical or likely concept. No legitimate psychologist would even propose such an idea.

This part is my speculation based on my experience working with kids, but if developing children could choose at such a young age where they wouldn't remember later, the gay and lesbian population would be huuuge. For the most part boys and girls don't like each other or find things in common until muuuch later in their development.

Last edited by jfarb at 5/2/2013 5:04:33 PM

To: red
This Post:
241167.90 in reply to 241167.88
Date: 5/2/2013 5:14:21 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
But, I have to think a lot of that pressure comes from the trivial notion of giving a shit about what other people think. If people are not going to respect you for who you are, and are going to pressure you to be different, why do you need them or their thoughts in your life in the first place?

Normally I would agree if it was just people disrepecting others with thoughts and words, and stopping there. But some don't stop there do they? Problem is that some of those people who do not respect you for who you are, also don't respect your rights as an individual, and will sometimes use what power they have in ways that impact your life. Whether its simply the voting power they have as a majority, using social pressure to impact others lives, or active discrimation. If athletes or other figureheads coming out helps combat that, or get some people who were on the fence about it to change their minds, or their votes, then it was worth it.

Last edited by jfarb at 5/2/2013 5:14:50 PM

This Post:
241167.91 in reply to 241167.90
Date: 5/2/2013 5:30:32 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Problem is that some of those people who do not respect you for who you are, also don't respect your rights as an individual, and will sometimes use what power they have in ways that impact your life. Whether its simply the voting power they have as a majority, using social pressure to impact others lives, or active discrimation.

+1

I sometimes forget that gay friends i know, even more so for some that have children, have all kinds of concerns i dont think of. not that i dont recognize that they are gay, but that im use to them and can see past the label of "gay", and forget all that label entails.

this week has been rough as its a reminder of the hatred and homophobia that still exists and how much different life can be for some of my friends.

"Well, no ones gonna top that." - http://tinyurl.com/noigttt
This Post:
241167.92 in reply to 241167.91
Date: 5/2/2013 5:40:09 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
BTW, Bill Simmons had Jason Collins on the BS Report two days ago if anyone is interested in listening to that podcast. It's about an hour long.

I wish there were pigmen. You get a few of these pigmen walking around I'm looking a whole lot better. Then if somebody wants to fix me up at least they could say, Hey he's no pig-man!

This Post:
241167.93 in reply to 241167.82
Date: 5/2/2013 6:16:03 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I appreciate your feedback.

But one thing confuses me here. If the Mosaic law was broken, why do people still use Leviticus as the justification for saying this particular behavior is sinful? Why are all the other laws broken, but not that one?

That comment cannot go unchecked.....
Leviticus is used. ..... was that part of the Mosaic law or a direct command from our heavy father?
Don't forget the three scriptures provided that are in the new testament.
And true of the point of when Christ died for our sins n that made the Mosaic law null and void.
But to the (Orthodox) of Jewish heritage.... that point is not recognized.. the impact of Christ death I mean. . So they still observe the Mosaic law and all the oral traditions that they view is law.

OK, I understand that.

Can you clear up for me then why the 10 Commandments are not followed? I know those are still cited by Christians as God's direct word, but the 3rd/4th (depending on version) specifically says:

"Observe the Sabbath day, to keep it holy, as the LORD your God commanded you. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter or your male servant or your female servant, or your ox or your donkey or any of your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates, that your male servant and your female servant may rest as well as you. You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the LORD your God brought you out from there with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm. Therefore the LORD your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day."

I don't think there's any misunderstanding the point here, and yet the massive majority of Christians do not follow this at all.

It seems that people don't care about that commandment very much. I guess I don't understand why it's OK to ignore one of the very holy 10 commandments but still insist that God's word in other areas cannot be ignored. It confuses me, honestly.

This Post:
241167.94 in reply to 241167.93
Date: 5/2/2013 6:24:58 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
From an historical standpoint it's clear that Paul did away with a lot of the Jewish laws in order to make monotheism more palatable to non-Jews (aka no need to keep Jewish dietary law or get circumcised when converting as an adult). This is not in any way to denigrate Christianity (I equally do not believe in either Christianity or Judaism) as a religion, it's just a different, more popular offshoot of Judaism that is, in some ways, less strict but also more universal with regard to who can become a Christian. To put it another way, it's a more successful business model.