Make place 3-5 more attractive

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
156862.89 in reply to 156862.88
Date: 9/26/2010 5:22:40 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I agree that no salary to pay in post season is not a good solution

However,The point is not diminuish the incomes of the 6th and 7th teams,but raise the incomes of the 3rd-4th-5th-8th team during this period of time,because is a general problem to pay salaries during this period,and especially for 3rd-4th-5th and 8th teams suffer because they have less o zero incomes during this period

Last edited by Steve Karenn at 9/26/2010 5:24:35 AM

This Post:
156862.90 in reply to 156862.89
Date: 9/26/2010 12:56:17 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
You can't base your argument on the fact that it is a general problem to pay for the salaries during this period. If you can't pay for the salaries, it's not a game design problem, it's a managerial problem. Even if you finish top table, you can lose your first PO game and 'lose scheduled income'. A thoughtful manager must be prepared to face this situation.

It should be a managerial decision to choose to take financial risks, you'll reap on the rewards if you succeed and face the consequences, if you fail. It's fairly easy to calculate roughly income and expenses for a season of 14 weeks. As it was already pointed out before, the problem is the baseline weekly economy which is misleading and a trap where noobs are destined to fall in on their first season.

That said, that the 6th place could be more attractive than the 5th is a game problem. I don't have any good suggestion myself to correct that. Financial awards for final classification could be one but to make it attractive would require to inject insane loads of money which is a definite no :D Unless a large overhaul of BB economy... and I suspect it's not in the cards.

This Post:
156862.91 in reply to 156862.90
Date: 9/26/2010 2:18:15 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
You can't base your argument on the fact that it is a general problem to pay for the salaries during this period. If you can't pay for the salaries, it's not a game design problem, it's a managerial problem.

It should be a managerial decision to choose to take financial risks, you'll reap on the rewards if you succeed and face the consequences, if you fail. It's fairly easy to calculate roughly income and expenses for a season of 14 weeks

Wrong
You had to manage your finances and calculate your incomes and expenses,but at the start of the season you can't calculate a lot of factors.Cup draw is a big factor,you can find a top league team in the first round,as you can find a lot of bot or very bad teams for the first 3-4-5-6 round,so there's an enormous diference not only on the strictly cup incomes,but also in the choice of how manage the 3 game/week,and on the fan survey for all the season.And this affect also the others team,so you can win or lose unexpected game in your schedule,because the teams have different choices to do to manage th 3 game/week

And this affect not so much the survival of the teams,as much more the programming in the medium-long period.All the effort that you put in such competitive leagues to save some money to improve your team in the future,can be nullified by some occasional event,for example there are some leagues balanced in a way that if you are unablle to set one time your line-up and you have a WO,you can drop for the second or third place to the fifth.
And as you should know,there's an enormous difference between the incomes of a second or a fifth team.

And if the problem is general,it means that it' not a single user fault,but there are some lacks in the system,that I and other users yet explained in the previous posts

This Post:
156862.92 in reply to 156862.91
Date: 9/26/2010 5:25:14 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
And there are lots of other factors, if you lose games, you'll make less money than if you win, sometimes you have to sell a player for less than planned or buy one for more than you intended first, your best player can get injured and it will cost you games. There are very unfair ones, you play away on saturdays or you are seeded in the schedule rotation after your league's strongest team against whom everyone ties and during the whole season, you'll face teams that have tied the game before. And so on...
Because of all this factors, you need a financial safety margin. You can choose to reduce it, it's sometimes wise but then if you fail, you need a plan to recoup like selling a player. Some don't have a safety plan...

But this is just a deflection, you want to maximize what you can't completely maximize, maybe it's the root for your frustration. How much do you make from the cup ? 150k this season, 250k last season, 0k the season before.
Your player's wages, approx 240k. Your arena receipt, approx 175k reg season.
If winning 3 or 4 cup games is a decisive factor for your finances, you are taking too many risks... maybe.

5th/8th, zero income during the PO + the two losing teams in the first PO game, close to zero income, if I were to lose my first PO game at your arena, I would be thrilled with the 75k you'd share with me but it wouldn't cover half my players and staff wages.

So 4 out of 8 teams in one conference, 8 out of 16 teams in one league, half the teams in BB get no income or close to no income during the PO, do you realise that ?
Making place 3-5 more attractive is a real issue but don't base your argument on the fact it is a general problem to pay for the salaries during this period. It's a problem for those who have created the problem.

This Post:
156862.93 in reply to 156862.92
Date: 9/27/2010 7:05:11 AM
Overall Posts Rated:

So 4 out of 8 teams in one conference, 8 out of 16 teams in one league, half the teams in BB get no income or close to no income during the PO, do you realise that ?
Making place 3-5 more attractive is a real issue but don't base your argument on the fact it is a general problem to pay for the salaries during this period. It's a problem for those who have created the problem.

Yes,this is way the actual sytem has strong lacks,and there are teams that at a certain point of the season,start to tank to reach lower positions,so distorting the competition and affecting also the other teams,that depending on their schedule can find a team at the full strenght,or a team with lucky fan,bench warmers and young trainees

Improve the incomes for these teams,avoid these distorsion,and generally help a little bit the economy,so helping to fight the actual deflaction of the market,because if a team of II division lose 800k-1M in only two weeks,this team can't use these money in the market

This Post:
156862.94 in reply to 156862.93
Date: 9/28/2010 12:58:16 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
just to throw a spanner in the works i know of a team that aimed for 5th rather than 6th then sold all his players, sacked all of his staff with the last week of the season still to go and the position locked up and now plans to have close to 0 costs for the next 4 weeks - that is a saving of more than a million and they were able to sell their players at a premium before the trade deadline

This Post:
156862.95 in reply to 156862.94
Date: 9/28/2010 3:36:12 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
A. I think a pretty easy fix is for the 5th place finishers to play a 3 game series with each other for a small prize, perhaps one weeks worth of tv contract or merchandise or something. Or a scaling amount depending on div.

B. another option is that the regulation series does not generate arena money, that way the teams fighting to stay dont gain an advantage.

C. make a bracket for the bottom 8 teams, and run it just like the playoffs. the first round losers get demoted.

D. instead of having a relegation game, the bottom 4 teams automaticly get demoted.

E. relegation games are 1 game instead of 3.

This Post:
156862.96 in reply to 156862.94
Date: 9/28/2010 9:09:08 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
just to throw a spanner in the works i know of a team that aimed for 5th rather than 6th then sold all his players, sacked all of his staff with the last week of the season still to go and the position locked up and now plans to have close to 0 costs for the next 4 weeks - that is a saving of more than a million and they were able to sell their players at a premium before the trade deadline

In a lower level league this tactic could be godd,but if you play at higher level,it's often difficult find on the market the players with the salary/perfomance ratio that you need for playing your league next season,you take a lot of risk before while you're searching the right player you can lose many games in the next season,so losing other money

This Post:
156862.97 in reply to 156862.96
Date: 9/28/2010 10:26:06 AM
Overall Posts Rated:

In a lower level league this tactic could be godd,but if you play at higher level,it's often difficult find on the market the players with the salary/perfomance ratio that you need for playing your league next season,you take a lot of risk before while you're searching the right player you can lose many games in the next season,so losing other money

#in addition i hope this won't become the most have strategie for this place, and when lot of people do it it will also become a very cheap transfer period and very expensiv to buy them back at the beginning of the season.