BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Advantage to smaller country teams?

Advantage to smaller country teams?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
129389.27 in reply to 129389.4
Date: 1/27/2010 2:44:32 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
The game is intentionally designed so that optimal training and optimal lineups for current games are at odds. If you could do both optimally at the same time, it would make it quite hard for teams that are behind to catch up, after all.

Quoted message: (125704.55).

I don´t think the main problem with small/large BB-countries is the B3 competition, although obviously the underlying problem is also affecting to the competitiveness of the big countries participants.
In Spain, we have the feeling that we are not playing the same game, compared to users in small countries. At least the same rules are not applying for everybody.
The economic advantage has already been addressed partially with the last changes. But there is still a difference that is frustrating many users in Spain when they try to hire a Staff member or buy a player and they have to face a bidding war against some of these users.
But there is also a training advantage which is related to the quoted BB-Charles post. They can do an optimal training at the same time of being fully competitive in their cup and league championship. In addition they can keep high their enthusiasm without problems. Game Shape is also more easily kept because they don´t need their best players to win the local matches.

Last edited by Emilio at 1/27/2010 2:46:58 PM

¡Me aburro! (Homer Simpson)

This Post:
129389.28 in reply to 129389.27
Date: 1/27/2010 2:51:21 PM
New York Chunks
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
I agree with everything you just wrote, though I still see a great economic advantage for teams in countries with fewer teams.

Don't ask what sort of Chunks they are, you probably don't want to know. Blowing Chunks since Season 4!
This Post:
129389.29 in reply to 129389.27
Date: 1/27/2010 2:52:09 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I would still like to see examples of those awesome teams in paradises that compete with the top of the world and entered the game after season 4.

I don't think you can find much, if you can't the answer to the threadtitle is surely no, the advantage of playing in small leagues isn't this big compare to large leagues. The only team currently in the B3 that fits this descripion is DH, being ranked 150th or something of the world.

Sure it could be somewhat easier to play in small teams, but I don't think we have to exaggerate this much.

Last edited by BB-Patrick at 1/27/2010 2:54:13 PM

This Post:
129389.30 in reply to 129389.25
Date: 1/27/2010 3:26:00 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
The best draftees that i got 6 seasons on the game where 2 C's 19 y/o 1 perennial allstar and the other MVP. Last season i got nothing from the draft, firing all of the players that i got.

We have only 1 player as good as my SG in Cyprus. Tell me then how i will be able to cover my guard positions that i dont train? If they give you large advantage on the income then they must arise the quality of the small countries draft. But even if that happens, and we will have the talent, if we have less money we will not be able to afford those high salaries players. So we will have to sell them, and the big boys will have plenty of talent to buy.

An other point. Even in my smalls country domestic league foreigner players are allowed. If they change it as you suggest we will not be able to get quality players.

So whats are my tools to be able to have the chance to be competitive on BBB? According your logic, we will have nothing. Financial power is really big part of this game. You have money? you can have great team. You dont? you cant. Simple as that.

Also this season Panathinaikos/Olympiacos and some other European powerhouses have 22-27M euros payroll. Thats around $35M, but the salaries of the players here are net, clear from taxes, that means that is very close to NBA salary cup, so its not that in Europe they dont invest on basketball some real money.

Last edited by JohnnyB at 1/27/2010 3:27:50 PM

This Post:
129389.32 in reply to 129389.29
Date: 1/27/2010 3:35:43 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Let me translate and explain what I posted on the ACBB forum:

In Buzzerbeater there are actually two kind of users:

Ideal: This online game, as any other, is designed for a community as the Spanish one, a macro game for a macro community; loads of users, loads of rivalry, loads of fun. Thus, there are coherently fixed economic rules. Those rules are based on Divisions (I, IIs, IIIs, IVs...). Every online game has this ideal purpose, for this type of users.

Accidental/Chance: Users whose country has/hasn't had rivalry, what has made it prone to create super-teams in a short period of time, world level teams, beacuase those "coherently fixed economic rules" have been always applied to both kind of players, obviously a mistake.

And then, it is said that accidental/chance users, if they were to lose the B3 they would not have much incentives. That's obvious too. That's why I suggest more continental competition among Africans, Asians... which would finally result in more and better rivals (more, above all, it does not matter whether are the best teams of those countries). Then, those champions and maybe runners-ups could play a proper B3.

This Post:
129389.33 in reply to 129389.29
Date: 1/27/2010 3:48:51 PM
New York Chunks
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
I would still like to see examples of those awesome teams in paradises that compete with the top of the world and entered the game after season 4.

This team is still playing in the QFs (ranked 178): (40621) Is that a good example?

And believe me, all teams that have started after Season 4 have a hard time sniffing anything close to BBB, regardless of country.

Don't ask what sort of Chunks they are, you probably don't want to know. Blowing Chunks since Season 4!
This Post:
129389.34 in reply to 129389.33
Date: 1/27/2010 3:56:01 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yes, I already mentioned that one (DH)

And believe me, all teams that have started after Season 4 have a hard time sniffing anything close to BBB, regardless of country.

And there we are, this was exactly what I meant. If the advantage in smaller countries really was THAT big, wouldn't they already have catched up with the elite then, in 7 full seasons?

Edit: Oops don't know why I named that team DH, should have been DB.

Also at a double check, this team changed names in between. Even this team starting in season 3;

In season 3, KBS made the semifinals of the playoffs in league Hanguk I.1

So that gets us back to zero. As you see, the current #1 of the biggest and maybe toughest country in the world, is quite a bit better than this team (ranked 14th vs 168th), while they started in the same season, although the spanish team should have had 'tough circumstances'

Last edited by BB-Patrick at 1/27/2010 4:03:13 PM

This Post:
129389.35 in reply to 129389.33
Date: 1/27/2010 3:56:24 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Didnt you say something about the underdogs? or i am missing something?

This Post:
129389.36 in reply to 129389.31
Date: 1/27/2010 4:03:07 PM
River Legends
IV.14
Overall Posts Rated:
Is not about a distribution, at least I cant imagine a "fair" distribution, I would like to see that a brilliant manager (no matter from where he is) is able to win the B3.
That includes little countries, they should be able to face the best teams of the world if they optimize their strategies, using their chances with the enthusiasm, easy training, easy domestic wining and game shape advantages. That means, they should be able to do it if they are elite managers.
My feelings (and im not talking about any team, just looking at the BB-world situation and speaking in general) are that today you dont need to be necesarily an elite manager to win the B3 coming from a little country.

Today, none of Italy, Poland or Spain is in the B3 quarter finals (more than 15000 users between all them).

Also, quarter-finals distribution is more a HCA than ranking distribution, 6 of these teams played at home the previous round, and only 2 were visitors.

Advertisement